“Old age is not a disease – it is strength and survivorship, triumph over all kinds of vicissitudes and disappointments, trials and illnesses” Maggie Kuhn
15 June 2022 is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day. Dube & Pottas Inc renders services to many Elderly patients on a Daily Basis – therefore this topic is close to home and the wellness of the Elderly are close to our hearts.
According to https://ncea.acl.gov/WEAAD.aspx the purpose of WEAAD is to provide an opportunity for communities around the world to promote a better understanding of abuse and neglect of older persons by raising awareness of the cultural, social, economic and demographic processes affecting elder abuse and neglect.
What is Elder Abuse?
https://www.gov.za/WorldElderAbuseAwarenessDay2022 stipulates that Elder abuse can take various forms such as physical, psychological or emotional, sexual and financial abuse. It can also be the result of intentional or unintentional neglect.
This article further stipulates that Elder abuse is an important public health and societal problem.
Therefore we would want to emphasise the importance of raising awareness of Elder Abuse.
https://newsd.in/world-elder-abuse-awareness-day-2022-types-of-abuse-how-to-recognize/ gives us more information on How To recognize Elder Abuse:
There are a few key signs that you should watch out for when it comes to elder abuse.
- Someone may become withdrawn and isolate themselves from friends and family.
- They may also exhibit changes in mood or behaviour that are out of the ordinary for them.
- If you see any of these signs, it is important to talk to your loved one about their safety and get professional help.
Who can you contact for Assistance?
- South African Police Services
- Department of Social Development
- Social Work Services
- Age in Action / https://age-in-action.co.za/
- Pretoria Council for the care of the Aged / email@example.com / 079 512 7063
- Laudium Care Services for the Aged / firstname.lastname@example.org / 012 374 0680
Be sure to cherish the Elderly around you
& to report any suspected Elderly Abuse.
Please share this B L O G to assist us in creating Elder Abuse Awareness.